07 May 2011

Golden Week 2011 Part II

My Golden Week story doesn't just end from previous post, because the best was yet to come by that time!! ;)

Cycle to Saitama City
Ever since I've moved to Saitama prefecture, I've been to Saitama City (the prefecture's capital which shares the same name, 埼玉県さいたま市) a few times but so far all by train. Checking Google Maps, it isn't that close from my place but still reachable by bicycle. So I've decided that one day, I'm gonna cycle there! Glad that I've managed to achieved it during this Golden Week!! :D

First stop, full bloom dandelions waiting the wind to blow the seeds off.
IMG_3271

Before reaching the city centre, stop by a shrine/temple to check out this ancient place.

慈眼寺
IMG_3272

IMG_3279

Zen Garden.
IMG_3278

The biking journey was pleasant one, and noted that Saitama City seems to be a cyclist-friendly city with dedicated cycling tracks by the riverside of Arakawa. I felt "under-dressed" compared to those cyclists on their "battle bikes" and "full boy armor" of skin-tight cycling suit and helmet.

Finally reached near the city centre!
IMG_3283

The menacing NTT Docomo Tower.
IMG_3284

UFO landed on this tower!
IMG_3288

Pretty amazing structure for this hotel.
IMG_3292

It's hard to believe that this is actually the regional postal service office! Looks more like hotel to me!
IMG_3294

The few towers of Saitama City that can be seen even from my place.
IMG_3297

The train station of Saitama Shin-toshin (さいたま新都心駅). Unusual station structure not found anywhere else.
IMG_3287

Eventually I've managed to clocked over 40km distance from the entire day! It's a new record for a day's ride as usually I only managed to made around 20km++.



--------------------------

Friend's visit
The day after the cycling adventure I had my good mate Cong Jie came down from Tochigi to kill some time in Kanto region. He stayed over my place for 3D2N and it's enjoying to have a company here heh.

Finally got the chance to visit this amusement + recreation center very near my place, with sports facilities and arcade machines. We played pingpong and football, which is great since it's been awhile I "blasted" a ball hah.
IMG_3300

Dinner of the night is slightly luxurious, having yakiniku (grill meat) which goes well with a jug of beer! :P
IMG_3302

--------------------------

Tsukiji and Ginza
Right after the sports day, the main agenda of the entire Golden Week would be the trip to downtown Tokyo, enjoying some fine sushi at Tsukiji (築地) and leisure walk around the shopping district of Ginza (銀座).

This time I had Cong Jie and Jian Shan tagging along for the sushi gourmet trip. Previous experience dining here was great and by that time I already decided that I'm gonna come here again soon!

This time dining at Sushi Sen (すし鮮). We chose it as it's not as crowded as other shops and the sushi set looks reasonable.
IMG_3311

Colourful illustrative menu. This however, might be a bit of problem for those who can't read Japanese.
IMG_3310

Jian Shan got his set served first, Tuna set (まぐろづくし).
IMG_3312

Cong Jie's nigiri set with a large eel (穴子).
IMG_3313

My nigiri set, at it's finest lol.
IMG_3316

Extra order, a piece of scallop (ホタテ) and salmon (鮭), my favourite sushi toppings.
IMG_3318

Cong Jie's fatty tuna (大トロ) and seared salmon (炙りサーモン).
IMG_3319

Passed-by this shop where I had my dose of sushi last time. The set is still pretty tempting as they include soup as well.
IMG_3321

People crowding the Ginza's famous landmark, the Wako shopping mall. Inside there stuffs are selling from 5 digits yen onwards.
IMG_3325

Matsuya Ginza, I haven't step into it before but surely, a simple item would cost a lot in there.
IMG_3327

Fancy a white poodle?
IMG_3326

Folks lining outside Ginza's Apple Store just to buy iPad 2. Unlikely to pick one up, unless the sky drops one for me lol.
IMG_3328

"Songs for Japan" charity album. Although it's pretty worth to get 2 CDs for just 2000 yen, but the tracks included are horrendous! Luckily I resisted to buy it and tried listening to the samples on iTunes.
IMG_3329

While passing-by a Starbucks Coffee the staff's handing out free sample of this Soy Strawberry and Cream Frappuccino. It tasted great and we didn't hesitate to get one lol. Smart marketing huh Starbucks.
IMG_3330

Revisiting the Imperial Palace again. Somehow I just love the surrounding, surreal comparison between the sky scrapers of Tokyo and the ancient castle so close to each other.
IMG_3335

Tokugawa must have been a very smart visionary as he was the one who claimed this large piece of land and build castle on top of it. Right now it's in the heart of Tokyo and I dare say, the land will cost way higher than Ginza's prime zone!
IMG_3331

Purple sunset near heart of Tokyo.
IMG_3332

--------------------------

Golden Week holiday ends today (Friday) as I resumed my usual lesson. But, that doesn't stop me from planning to enjoy the weekends heh.

Anyway, it's been a month since I came back to Japan from Malaysia. A month seem to passed quite fast eh, and yet I sensed that university is getting busier too. Well, 2nd year is definitely not as easy as the 1st year, so have to keep myself highly-motivated to work hard and work smart!

To give myself a head start, I've already confirm it will be a cooler summer for me this year, back in Malaysia!! :D

AA

See you again soon, Malaysia! 16 Aug - 20 Sept!!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment