08 August 2011

Summer 2011 Part I: Audio Technica HQ & Yokohama

Oh boy it'll be quite some posts here but I'll try my best to finish up each entries.... And of course as usual, loaded with lots of pics! :P

Right after I passed up my final assignment on 20 July, summer holiday officially started and I've got almost 2 months of time to kill 'til autumn semester in Sept. Don't feel like wasting the summer holiday by sitting in the room, decided to went out to explore a bit, somewhere I haven't been to before preferably.

First stop would be Audio Technica's headquarters at Naruse, Machida.

Some readers might not be familiar with the brand "Audio Technica", it's actually one of the leading brands in Japan manufacturing audio goods such as headphone, mic, amplifiers etc. The HQ is located to the west, at the outskirt of Tokyo (東京都町田市成瀬).

IMG_3902

The Audio Technica factory which specifically manufacture Audio Technica's Made in Japan items including wooden headphones. Top quality is assured.
IMG_3920

My purpose of visit is to check out the Sound Gallery which houses some antique music players dated as early as Edison's phonograph (earliest form of audio recorder/player).

Inside the Sound Gallery
IMG_3934

These are some of the earliest specimens in the room. Dated at the end of 19th century. That time the "media" is in phonograph cylinder form instead of the record disc form.
IMG_3940

Lots of different sizes of speakers.
IMG_3939
IMG_3924
IMG_3927

iPod and it's ancestors lol. Time shift 100 years.
IMG_3929
IMG_3930

Classic turntable.
IMG_3931

His Master's Voice. HMV is one of the earliest recording company and it's still in business even until today as the HMV group.
IMG_3928

Toccata and Fugue sounds great listening via record!
IMG_3919

The tour at the Audio Technica Sound Gallery ended rather early. Since there're still some time, checked area around and noticed that Yokohama is just 30 mins away by train. Always wanted to visit Yokohama but always came up with lame excuse such as journey's so far and train fare ain't cheap, but since it's so close, might just go there and explore new zone!

Best decision ever.

IMG_3951
IMG_3953
IMG_3952

Although Yokohama is another large city not that far from Tokyo, the city atmosphere is totally different, thanks to it's prime location located just beside the Tokyo Bay. It's a very modern city and yet less stressful compared to Tokyo. It was my first visit and I can understand why it's one of the highly-rated city in Japan.

Lurking around Nissan Global Gallery checking out none other than GTR!
IMG_3946

While I randomly walk along the streets of Yokohama in awe, I passed by another automobile showroom, this time none other than the prestigious Rolls Royce Motor Cars showroom.

Enter the GHOST and PHANTOM.

IMG_3957
IMG_3954
IMG_3955
IMG_3956

Another white GHOST guarding the showroom.
IMG_3961

Glad that the staff in the showroom allowed me to take pictures inside, as it's obvious that only a handful of minorities can afford to put order on these majestic cars. But for me, even if I had the cash to splash, I'd opt for Bentley. :P

The Yokohama Landmark Tower. One of the tallest buildings in Japan.
IMG_3965

Sunset over Yokohama skyline's silhouette.
IMG_3978

A vessel Nihonmaru now act as a floating museum.
IMG_3973

As I continue to wonder around Yokohama, stomach starts growling as I've been using up energy walking and walking. Then suddenly remembered Yokohama is also famous for housing Japan's Chinatown. It's not that far from where I was that time so decided to drag the feet over there. Yet another great decision!

IMG_3909

Sniffing down the streets of the Chinatown immediately recognise the familiarity of the scent, Chinese cuisine~~
So I said, it's a damn good decision to come to the Chinatown when one's hungry as it's just a food haven!!

I ended up in this restaurant called Saika, run by Taiwanese.
IMG_3982

Set dinner of the night, one of the best chili shrimp (エビチリ) I ever had!!
IMG_3981

Well then the final pic concludes the usual pictorial blog post then. There're things happening around lately and I really hope that I can squeeze out more time to compile it here.
'til then, stay tune~ ;)

Countdown, about a week to go~ :)

Summer 2011 Part II: Tokyo National Museum 東京国立博物館
Summer 2011 Part III: From Shinagawa to Roppongi by foot
Summer 2011 Part IV: Summer Festival Matsuri 祭り

No comments:

Post a Comment